Refuge

Salvation ... comes from the Lord ... because they take refuge in him. (Psalm 37:39-40)

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Pain to Refuge


This article shares a few things in verse format, then share some Bible verses to focus on  Refuge as pain bearer.

When I feel lost, He's the One to be found.
When I feel unsure, He becomes my security and certainty.
When I feel unsafe, He assures me as Refuge.

When turbulence requires an ambulance, He transports me to Refuge.
When offense requires forgiveness, Refuge supplies all I need.
When hate requires an answer of love, Refuge love never fails.
When hopelessness requires a purpose to go on, Refuge hope satisfies the heart.
When doubt makes faith seem impossible, Refuge faith springs from a bottomless fountain. 

Who else could do what only God can do?
Why would I even try a counterfeit Refuge?
   ... complaining to drown disappointment
   ... booze, drugs, or food to drown sorrow
   ... non-marital sex to drown loneliness
   ... thrill of risk to drown fear
   ... blame to drown guilt
   ... self-rejection to drown shame
   ... victimization to drown victim-hood
   ... all-of-the-above and more to drown bitterness, resentment, and rebellion

Pain in the heart shows itself in many forms;  disappointments, sorrows, loneliness, fear, guilt, shame, and victim status.  Running to Refuge for healing is much better than complaining, overindulging, fornicating, risky behavior, blaming, hating self, and victimizing others.  Seeking Refuge finds happiness instead of complaining, joy instead of sorrow, fulfillment instead of loneliness, faith instead of fear, right-standing instead of guilt, self-acceptance instead of shame, and victor instead of victim.

The Bible has much to say about this:

"There is a way that appears to be right,
    but in the end it leads to death."  (Proverbs 16:25)

"Truly my soul finds rest in God;
    my salvation comes from him.
  Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will never be shaken." (Psalm 62:1-2)

"The Lord will rescue his servants;
    no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned." (Psalm 34:22)

"I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
    he delivered me from all my fears.
 Those who look to him are radiant;
    their faces are never covered with shame." (Psalm 34:4-5)

"God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble. ...
The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress." (Psalm 46:1,11)

"Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise." (Proverbs 20:1)

"But a man who commits adultery has no sense; whoever does so destroys himself."  (Proverbs 6:32)

"Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me." (Psalm 31:2)

"How priceless is your unfailing love, O God!
    People take refuge in the shadow of your wings." (Psalm 36:7)

"Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”
He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." (Psalm 91:1-2,4)

About Jesus, Isaiah prophesied:
"Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering," (Isaiah 53:4)
"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,
  to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
    and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
     and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair."  (Isaiah 61:1-3)

Jesus himself said:
 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  (Matthew 11:28-30)

Peter, a follower of Jesus, and writer in the New Testament, quotes Proverbs 3:34, which says,
“God opposes the proud
    but shows favor to the humble.”  (1 Peter 5:5)
and then Peter makes this statement,
"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.  Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."  (1 Peter 5:6-7)

I am so grateful that it is never too late to surrender.  God always responds with love to a humble heart. God is my shelter, bomb shelter, safe house, igloo, bubble, balloon, sanctuary, asylum, haven, indestructible dwelling, solid rock, fortress, oasis, .....  or what word describes "refuge" for you?  Are you willing to surrender, and run to Jesus Christ as Refuge?  Right now is never too soon.  

                Note:   The book Escaping the Pain of Offense: Empowered to Forgive from the Heart discusses themes of dealing with disappointments, offense and finding freedom in forgiveness.  This book is designed to help people (especially in the Christian faith)  to discover and dislodge things in life that lead to defeat. Don't miss out on your chance to use this book as a helpful tool in discovering Refuge in Christ. It can be purchased by clicking here: http://bluerockbnb.com/healing/book_main.htm . If you get anywhere near Pennsylvania for vacation or on business, be sure to look us up for lodging at  http://bluerockb
by Ed Hersh, Blue Rock BnB Healing Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment